Metro Wire Staff
Firefighters and medics in Dewey have been called to a home filled with smoke.
A 911 caller reported at 7:59 a.m. that there was smoke inside 4646 County X just south of the Marathon Co. line in the town of Dewey.
The residents reportedly replaced their furnace earlier in the week and reported seeing one bedroom filling with smoke on Friday. The home has been evacuated and, initially, no injuries have been reported.
When crews arrived a resident reported hearing a “popping sound” before seeing the smoke, but they did not see any flames. Fire crews are venting the home.
Paramedics from the Stevens Point Fire Department and Portage Co. deputies are also on the scene.
The Dewey Fire Department was dispatched on Dec. 21 for a chimney fire at 4525 County X North. No injuries were reported there, either.
Badger Heating was also called to the home.
More as we have it.