No injuries after Christmas Eve apartment fire

By Brandi Makuski

One woman has temporarily been displaced by an apartment fire.

Metro Fire crews were called to the 3000 block of Water St. at 12:56 p.m. on Dec. 24 after a caller reported seeing smoke coming out of an apartment home near the backside of the Park Place Apartments complex.

Crews from Stevens Point and Plover responded to the scene. Firefighters in Hull were asked to remain on standby.

“There was a fairly heavy amount of smoke coming from the roof area of the apartment,” said Capt. Rob Heibler with SPFD. “Truck 1 laid in, made a nice, aggressive entry and knocked the fire down very quickly.”

Heibler said the fire was contained to one room but there was heat-related damage throughout the apartment. The elderly female resident is being assisted by the American Red Cross, he added.

Crews cleared the scene at about 2:30 p.m.