The Transfer Facility is located at 650 Moore Rd. in Plover. (Metro Wire photo)

Portage Co. announces second e-cycle event

By Brandi Makuski

Due to the “unprecedented demand” of the county’s first free e-cycle event in October, the Portage County Solid Waste Department is holding another similar event on Dec. 2 — but this time, residents need to register in advance.

Residents will be able to recycle up to 20 items for free at the Portage County Transfer Facility, located at 650 Moore Rd. in Plover.

All participants must register online at www.co.portage.wi.gov/396/Solid-Waste by noon on Dec. 1. Appointments are offered every half-hour starting at 8:30 a.m. on Dec. 2 and late arrivals will be turned away. 

Non-residents of Portage County, businesses, and unregistered participants will be turned away.

Participants will need to follow signs to County Road R, to Black Oak Dr., to Twin Towers Dr., and then west onto Moore Rd. Any traffic entering off Apache Drive will be rerouted.

Trash, bulbs, tires, or other items normally collected at the transfer facility will not be accepted.

Accepted during the event include: cable boxes, cables & cords, cameras & camcorders, cell phones/PDAs and charges, clocks, coffee makers, copiers, printers, scanners & fax machines, desktop computer towers & peripherals, docking stations, DVD/VHS/Blu-Ray players (no discs), external drives (all types), fans, hair dryers, landline phones, laptop computers & peripherals, monitors (all types), MP3 & iPod players, microwaves, projectors, radios, satellite dishes & receivers, servers, stereos & speakers, toasters, TVs (all types), UPS & jump starters, vacuum cleaners, video game consoles & controllers 

Not accepted during the event: ballasts, batteries, bulbs/lamps, capacitors, dehumidifies, dryers, gas cylinders, ink & toner cartridges, holiday lights, liquids, medical & radioactive wastes, medical & lab equipment, refrigerators, smoke detectors, stoves, vape pens, and washing machines

The Portage County Transfer Facility accepts most of the above items year-round. Additional Information can be found on the department’s website.¬†