By Patrick Lynn
A UW-Stevens Point program designed for adult learners is accepting new members.
Learning Is ForEver (LIFE), offered through the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point’s Continuing Education and Outreach program, is a membership-based group of adults providing an opportunity to share learning experiences and discover new interests in life.
The first semester of 2021-22 offers more than 100 enrichment classes or discussions over the next four months. These programs are led by visiting and national experts, community leaders, UW-Stevens Point faculty, and LIFE members. The cost of membership for the fall semester is $50.
Outside of being an adult and being curious, there are no requirements to join the program. Classes and discussions are available in hybrid form, including in-person and Zoom sessions, and technical support is available for those who wish to participate remotely.
Programs may also be recorded to view later, and members have access to a library of past recordings.
“UWSP’s LIFE program is a great buy and offers insights into the world. No homework, no exams, just up-to-date offerings in a wide range of subjects,” said member Bill Kirby.
Upcoming programs include:
• TSA Issues and What You Need to Know about Traveling
• Living With Wolves in Wisconsin
• The Role of Nuclear Energy in a Clean Energy Future
• What Exactly Is Money? The Curious Story of Civil War Tokens
• How to Write a Memoir
• Current Concepts of Knee and Hip Replacement Surgery
• Redistricting: Wisconsin Legislators Selecting Constituents in 2021/22
• Divine Foreknowledge and Human Freedom
• The Paper Industry and the Environment: Then and Now
• Anti-Defamation League Midwest: State of Hate
LIFE also offers ongoing activities for a variety of special interests:
• American and international feature films analyzed
• LIFE Book Talk features monthly discussion of fiction and non-fiction
• High tech discussions/questions about cell phones, cable, and computers
• Solving Sudoku and other computer games
• TED talks – listen and discuss
• Local tours and Wisconsin travel to plays and athletic events
For more information contact UWSP’s Continuing Education and Outreach at 715.346.3838.