No injuries in Tuesday night fire

By Brandi Makuski

Metro Fire crews were called to the home on Tuesday after the sole occupant reported smelling smoke.

It was six degrees when crews arrived at 701 Washington Ave. at 6:54 p.m. on Tuesday. Capt. Ron Heibler from the Stevens Point Fire Department said when firefighters entered the home, they saw “a haze” in the home but could not find any flames.

Crews checked the walls for heat, Heibler said, and checked the upstairs, but found nothing. Heibler said he had to send two firefighters into a crawl space under the home to reach the basement.

“There we found a small fire in the basement,” he said. “There was some debris on fire near the water heater.”

Plover firefighters also responded to the scene. The Hull Fire Department was asked to standby about a block away at Fourth Ave. and Second St.

The fire caused no structural damage though crews did have to break open a wall looking for fire, Heibler said.

Heibler said the female resident checked by paramedics for possible smoke inhalation, “just to be on the safe side,” but she was medically cleared. The home is habitable, he added, but the woman opted to stay elsewhere for the night.

“My boys did a great, great job tonight,” Heibler said.

Crews were on the scene for about 90 minutes.